Dehumidifiers are the appliances which reduce the humidity present in the air. Basements are used as the extensions of living rooms or for storage purpose. The basements are underground, and therefore the moisture migrating from the foundation, water leaks or due to some other reasons make the basements cold and damp. Some common signs of the humidity are condensation on walls or floors and presence of mold and spores. It leads to the structural damage and various health related problems. Molds and spores are formed in the moist air and can causes diseases like allergy, asthma and also make the air quality destitute. A dehumidifier helps in dehumidifying the air. It works on lowering down the moisture level below 60% and prevents mold, your property from being damaged, and leaks.
Hence we have finalized the below are the best and cheap dehumidifiers for your basements, home and multi-purpose.
|HHSUC Dehumidifier 70oz Water Tank Mini Electric Dehumidifiers ||Quickly and efficiently remove moisture from your home – Capable of removing up to 26 ounces of water per day with a 70-ounce water tank capacity（at 86℉, 85%RH environment）. Normally life lasting between 3-5 years.Ideal Dehumidifier for room sizes up to 2000 cubic feet (269 sq ft).||Read more|
|SEAVON 1500ml Portable 2500 Cubic Feet Dehumidifier||Portable dehumidifier designed with 1500ml capacity tank extracts up to 500ml/ 18oz daily in (86°F, 80%RH) enclosed and small rooms and spaces.||Read more|
|Pro Breeze Dehumidifier Mini (Electric) – 2200 cubic Feet||Lightweight, compact and portable. Capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day with a 52-ounce water tank capacity. Ideal for rooms up to 2200 cubic feet (250 sq ft)||Read more|
|Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70 Pint Dehumidifier||It has superior portability with top extendable handle ad cord storage.|
It has large capacity water tank than other units in this class
It is constructed well with high-quality parts
It is a reliable unit.
|Keystone KSTAD70B 70 Pint Dehumidifier||It has the best value in 70-pint class.|
It is a reliable unit.
It is most quiet in size.
It is the most energy efficient in this class.
It is lighter in size and hence very portable.
|Whynter RPD-702WP Energy Star Portable Dehumidifier with Pump||It has auto shut off option which turns off the humidifier after reaching a relative humidity level and hence energy saver.|
It has auto restart option which turns on the dehumidifier with previous settings.
It has relative humidity read out which makes it user-friendly
|Friedrich D70BP 70 Pint Dehumidifier with Built-in Drain Pump||It has a built-in pump which can pump condensation vertically as well as horizontally.|
The capacity of the water tank is enormous.
It has a high-quality control panel with ED display.
It has a separate display for temperature.
|Frigidaire FFAD5033R1 50 Pint Dehumidifier||It can remove 50 pints of moisture from the air in a day.|
It is highly durable as it is made up of high-quality materials.
It has reliability.
|Keystone KSTAD50B 50 Pint Dehumidifier||It has excellent value than other dehumidifiers in this range.|
It has auto shut off the system with a full bucket alert and hence high energy efficient.
It has defrosted mode for low-temperature operation.
It is light in weight and hence easy portable.
|DeLonghi DD50PE 50 Pint Dehumidifier||This unit is constructed well with high-quality parts and materials.|
It has high-quality LCD.
It is the most energy efficient than other 50 pint dehumidifiers in this class.
It has a separate display for temperature.
It has continuous and defrosts mode.
|Frigidaire FFAD3033R1 30 Pint Dehumidifier||It has some features like 50 pint and 70-pint dehumidifiers.|
IT is energy efficient for its class.
It is mute as compared to other units in this class.
It is light in weight that makes it more portable.
|EdgeStar DEP301EW 30 Pint Portable Dehumidifier||It has a low-temperature operation with de-icer feature which makes it efficient for removing moisture in crawl spaces and basements.|
Its adjustable humidity range allows users to set their desired humidity level.
It has top mounted readily available electronic controls which offer a broad variety of settings and features that can customize to your specific preferences.
|SPT SD-31E 30 Pint Dehumidifier||This unit pulls an excess of moisture from the air in less time. Therefore, it can lower the humidity level to make you feel comfortable.|
After achieving the desired humidity, it's both compressors, and fans get stopped so as to save energy
Combat humidity: – It is very necessary to battle with moisture as it causes damage to the property and severe health disasters. For this purpose, a dehumidifier is one who can overcome with all of these. It comes up with two options:
- Condenser System
- Ventilation system
- Condenser System: – Condenser system works on humidity by breaking sown into water. The condenser system used in homes, and it also includes an air purification component. Its size varies from smaller units which can handle to 500 square feet to larger units which can handle up to 2500 square feet.
- Ventilation System: – Ventilation system works on humidity by venting the moist air back before it enters the other area of your basement. It increases the ventilation and decreases the humidity in your basement. It also filters the moist air with drier air and exhausts the bad odors. The ventilation can work with the area up to 7000 square feet. So, it is the best option for the business and larger buildings. The ventilation system is energy efficient as it is not converting humidity into the water and is cost effective for larger business.
Muggy and Damp Basements: – Humidity can damage your basement. Metal pipes and metallic appliances can easily get rusted by the presence of moisture in your basement. If you are using your basement as a store, then all the things you stored there can damage due to the presence of moisture mold and spores. And if you are using your basement as an extension of living room then the dampness can destroy your rugs and carpeting. It can also smudge the paint of your walls and wood causing it to swell ad weaken. The basement will get deteriorated from inside significantly due to dampness. If there are no windows in the cellar, then the ventilation of air could not happen and makes the situation more critical.
If you feel like wet and feel moisture in your basement then don’t wait for the situation get worst, just use a dehumidifier in your basement. If there are no windows in your basement, then you can use condenser dehumidifier, and if you have a large basement and have windows in your basement, then you can use ventilation dehumidifier. It will lower down the humidity of your basement to a great extent.
Common Causes of Dampness: – Basements are notoriously dark and damp places. Moisture in your basement can cause damage to your property and can be a health hazard as well. Basement dampness can cause significant issues to your home. There are numerous reasons for the moisture in your basement. Some of the common causes are: –
- Leaking pipes, roofs and chimneys can be a cause of dampness in your basement.
- Overflowing rain gutters filled with debris can cause moisture in the cellar.
- Heavy rain falls, rapidly melting snow and high water table can increase the level of humidity in your basement.
- Water leaking from the foundation wall can cause moisture in the basement.
- The diffusing water vapors through the walls of the organization and as well as from the concrete basement floor can increase humidity in your basement.
- Unvented clothes dryers and heat from the kitchen can cause dampness in your basement.
- Incoming humid air from the outside of the house and into the basement can cause condensation.
- Poor drainage system can also attribute to the dampness of the basement.
- Evaporation of water from the basins and moisture in exposed soils in subway can lead to dampness in the cellar.
- If the vapor barriers on the basement walls and beneath the basement floors are not installed correctly, then it will increase the level of humidity in your basement.
Bad Basement Odors: – Basements are usually entirely underground; therefore there are many chances to increase in humidity level in basements. This increased humidity and lack of sunlight can cause dampness in the cellar. Moisture and improper ventilation in basement lead to the bad odors. Most of the basement odors caused by mold, mildew, rot, or dust mites. To get rid of the bad odors, you can arrange proper ventilation, and decrease the humidity level of your basement. It will stop or reduce the growth of mold and spores in the air and result in no harmful odors. A dehumidifier is the one which can reduce the humidity in the air by breaking down into water. The dehumidifiers made with HEPA and Carbon filters which help in reducing the bad stench of the basement and keeps the basement dust free. You can make efforts to make the smell of the basement better. You can do it by using following steps: –
- The first thing you can do it, to identify the source of the smell. Check thoroughly to find the source from where the bad smell is coming.
- Remove all the mildew and mold infected objects from the basement.
- Clean your basement thoroughly to remove all the mold, and spores from the cellar.
- After cleaning the basement let some fresh air to come inside to aid in the drying process. Ventilate your basement properly to make the air of the basement clean.
- You can fix the initial cause of mildew.
How do dehumidifiers work: – Dehumidifiers are designed to reduce the humidity level in the air. Most of the dehumidifiers made with compressor fans which suck in the moisture condense it and passes the water into a water tank which has to empty after reaching a certain limit.
A dehumidifier works in two ways: –
- By Refrigeration
- By absorption/adsorption
- Refrigeration: – This process is similar to the technology in refrigerators. In this process, air is cooled to remove the moisture. This process involves the following steps: –
- The warm, moist air is sucked in through a grille on one side of the machine with the help of a fan.
- This hot air passes over the cold freezing pipes in which coolant circulates. As the air cools down the moisture present in the air gets converted into water ad drips downwards off the pipes and gets collected in the tray at the bottom of the machine
- The moisture free air then passes over the heating element and get back to the original temperature.
- This warm and dry air blows back to the room by another grille.
- Absorption/Adsorption: – All of the dehumidifier does not work by refrigeration. Some of the dehumidifiers work by the process of absorption or adsorption. They absorb or adsorb the moisture from the air and throw it out the room. This process involves the following steps: –
- Moist air is drawn in through a duct containing a fan.
- This air passes through a giant rotating wheel which absorbs water and removes the humidity.
- The dry air is blowing back to the room.
- The moisture absorbed in the rotating wheel has hot air.
- This hot and wet air is sucked by a fan and electric motor and blown out through an exhaust duct.
11-pint dehumidifier makes the musty, moist air perfect one. It is ideal or smaller places and can remove 11 pints of water from the moist air per day. It has soft touch electronic pad controls, auto shutoff function, and can cover an area up to 500 square feet. The storage capacity of water for one unit is 4.86 pint. It also has an option for auto drainage which allows it for continuous operation. The temperature at which 11-pint dehumidifier can work is 41-degree Fahrenheit. 11 Pint dehumidifier uses non-ozone depleting refrigerant and hence is a perfect mixture of performance with efficiency.
It protects your home from mold and mildew caused by excess moisture and thus helps in eliminating out of the house which makes breathing difficult. It can remove 30 pints of water per day from the moist air per day and uses the 115V electrical outlet. It also has continuously drained feature which allows it work consistently and don’t need to empty the water tank. It is low temperature operating device (41 degrees) and hence an energy saver. It has Ready-Select electronic controls with digital humidity readout and also has 24-hour on/off timer and control lock. Its automatic shut-off feature when the bucket filled makes it easy to use.
The 50-pint dehumidifier protects our home from mold and mildew caused by an excess of humidity and helps in eliminating all harmful bacteria. It can remove 50 pints of water per day from the moist air. It is also capable of continuous operation when it located near the suitable drain. It has ready-select electronic which include a humidity readout and 24-hour on/off timer and control lock. It can effectively dehumidify a medium sized room with a medium level of humidity. A 50-pint dehumidifier is a portable design with Caster wheels, and top and side handle makes it easy to move it from one room to another.
70-pint dehumidifier removes the bacteria and filters the moist air and makes it comfortable for breathing. It is designed to remove up to 70 pints of moisture from the air and therefore perfect to use in medium to large sized rooms up to 4500 square feet. It has a digital humidity readout that automatically senses the room moisture, dehumidify and accurately maintain the desired humidity levels. Its anti-spill water tank can collect up to 14.4 pints of humidity, and its continuous drain option makes it flexible to continuously to drain the water by using a standard garden hose. It is portable and has smooth-gliding caster wheels that make it easier to move it in the room.
A 137-pint dehumidifier helps in preventing the problems caused by moisture in your home and makes you feel more comfortable. This humidifier can remove up to 137 pints of moisture from the air and suitable for large sized rooms up to 2,000 square feet. It has an automatic shut off feature when the bucket is full and can operate down to 41 degrees; these features make the 137-pint dehumidifier energy deficient. Its bucket can store about 137 pints of water, or it can hook to a standard hose for direct-drain. It has an adjustable thermostat and continuous drain mode which enables it to run non-stop when desired.
The 180-pint dehumidifier is designed to control humidity in your growing environment. It is an automatically restart unit that is to used with humidity controller. It can remove up to 180 pints of water from the moist air. It is perfect for using in large rooms and offices. It has easy to use digital display humidity read out, removable washing filters, one-speed fan motor, powder coated metal and a heavy duty compressor. It has built-in defrost system that is designed for operation down to 45 degrees. Its continuous drain option makes it perfect to use continuously. It has wheels that make it easy to move in the room.
Too much moisture in your basement can lead to damage your property. Humidity level more than 50% can help in breeding dust mites, mildew, mold, and spores resulting in allergies, asthma and other health problems. Dehumidifiers are an easy solution for reducing the level of humidity. A dehumidifier is an electronic appliance which is designed to lower down the humidity level and prevents the breeding of dust mites, mildew, mold and spores. It comes up in many shapes and sizes. Before buying one for your basement, you should go through the following factors: –
- The size of the dehumidifier: – While picking up a dehumidifier the first thing you keep in mind is the size of the unit needed. Rather than planning for a small unit for a single room, take into account the square footage of your entire basement. Match the removal capacity of the dehumidifier with the moisture level in the cellar. For example, for an area of 4,500 square feet, 70 Pint dehumidifier is required.
- Automatic drainage system: – Dehumidifiers have a storage tank to store the condensed water which we have to empty after reaching a certain limit. Some dehumidifiers can pipe water to the drain so that there is no need for an empty reservoir. It allows the continuous operation. You should go for the unit having an auto drainage system.
- Energy and money saver: – Energy performance of a dehumidifier determined by the amount of water extracted every hour to the amount of energy consumed. Good performance by using less energy makes the dehumidifier energy efficient. The dehumidifier with energy star level will save energy and ultimately save money on utility bills. You should go for a dehumidifier having more stars.
- Washable filters: –Dehumidifiers have filters which remove mold spores and dust mites and protects individuals from allergies and asthma. These filters have to remove and wash at least twice a week so that you don’t need to get them often, therefore, while picking up a humidifier go for a one whose filters can be easily removed and washed.
- Auto restart: – A good dehumidifier is one which has auto on/off the system. This auto restart option allows the unit to return to its desired settings after power cuts. This feature also works on when the storage tank of the dehumidifier full and needs to be emptied.
- Auto humidistat: – A good humidistat also has the feature of auto humidistat which allows it to shut off after achieving relative humidity level and hence helps in energy saving.
- Portability: – The dehumidifier you are picking should be easy to handle and easily portable so that you can quickly move it from one room to another. For this reason, you should go for the one which has wheels so that it can be easily rolled down.
- Quiet operation: – Noise can be a problem if you have a living room or bedroom in the basement. Dehumidifiers which have two fans runs quietly and also save energy. It is best to check the noise level of the dehumidifier before buying.
Sizing capacity for your basement: – A dehumidifier regulates the moisture of your basement and maintains the desired relative humidity. The size of a dehumidifier determined by its ability to remove moisture within 24 hour period. A low capacity humidifier is a solution for small spaces, whereas the high capacity dehumidifiers are suitable for the medium and large-sized areas. The size of a dehumidifier indicates the area it covers in square feet. Therefore, if you know the area of your basement in sq ft, it will easy for you to have an idea about the capacity of dehumidifier you need.
The other factor that should keep in consideration is the condition of the basement; means how damp is your basement. If your basement is little wet, then you should stick with the rated capacity of your square footage, and if your basement is pretty damp, then go for a humidifier having more capacity. The moisture is removing the ability of a dehumidifier in 24 hours measured in pints. The dehumidifiers with larger capacities are bit bulkier than the smaller ones. The sizing capability of the dehumidifier is measured in pints. A 30-pint unit can dehumidify the area up to 500 square feet and is fit for using in homes, but a 137-pint unit can dehumidify the area up to 2,000 square feet and is suitable for industrial and commercial buildings.
Specialized features of a good dehumidifier: – The increased level of the moisture in your basement can damage your property and decreases the quality of the air, which can lead to serious health problems. A dehumidifier removes the excess of water vapor from the air and makes the air comfortable. A human being can feel most comfortable in 20-40% moisture in the air. You should have to keep the relative humidity of your basement below 50% at all times to minimize health problems. A good dehumidifier should have following specific features: –
- Pint Capacity: – Pint capacity refers to the amount of moisture that can be removed by the dehumidifier in 24 hours. The best capacity for most of the homes is around 40-70 pints. This ability of the dehumidifier is quite enough to deal with the moisture level in the home, whereas the industrial and commercial establishments need the dehumidifiers with higher capacity.
- Collection Container: –Dehumidifiers have the storage tanks which store the condensed water and needs to empty when getting full to continue pumping. These collection containers can be quickly taken off to dispose of the extracted water. Some of the dehumidifiers have a feature to get turn off when the storage bucket is full.
- Auto Humidistat: – Humidistat is necessary to measure the relative humidity of the basement. This feature also has readouts to the humidifier. Auto humidistat feature of a dehumidifier makes it turn off after reaching a relative humidity level and turns it back when the moisture is beginning to get high again.
- Auto Defrost and low-temperature options: – For working in low-temperature conditions a dehumidifier must have auto defrost feature. The machines which are designed to operate in normal temperature conditions are not fit for used in colder regions. For more Arctic regions, a dehumidifier must have anti-frost sensors which make the machine automatically turn on when it gets very cold or during winters.
- Auto Restart function: – Auto restart function enables the dehumidifiers to get turn off after power cuts and maintain its previous settings. If you are planning on buying a dehumidifier, then go with the one which has auto restart option.
- Auto shutoff: –Another favorite feature of a dehumidifier is auto shutoff. This feature enables the machine to automatically turn off when the storage tank gets filled to avoid spills and overflow of the water reservoir.
- Reusable air filter: – Always use a dehumidifier with air filter. The air cleaner filters the air having moisture, mold, and spores and makes the air comfortable for breathing and hence prevents various health problems. These filters can be removed and washed in some dehumidifiers so that it can use again and again. While picking up a dehumidifier for your basement, go for the one having reusable air filters.
- Noise levels: –Noise levels can also be taken into consideration while buying a dehumidifier. Maximum machines make whirring sounds while working. You should go for the dehumidifier which is noise free while working.
- Continuous Drainage system: – The water tank of the dehumidifier needs to be empty when getting full. This forms interruptions in the continuous working of the machine. Buying a dehumidifier with continuous drainage system is much better than draining the water tank. This feature enables the dehumidifier to work continuously.
- Caster wheels: – Caster wheels are vital to moving the dehumidifier around your basement. Wheels make it easy to carry and roll the machine around. All the dehumidifiers do not have caster wheel to move the unit around. So, go for a dehumidifier having caster wheel while picking one.
- Permanent Installation or Portable: – While buying a dehumidifier you should know about the fact that the unit is to be installed permanently or it is portable. The permanent installation makes the unit fit for a particular area, while the mobile units allow the flexibility of moving the unit around. The larger units are bulkier and suitable for industrial and commercial buildings, whereas the smaller dehumidifiers have caster wheels and usually come with a handle to carry.
- Desiccant Units: – The desiccant units are the dehumidifiers which used for drying the room’s environment to get rid of the moisture. The process of drying up does not need a compressor and can works better in low temperature.
- Mechanical Units: – Mechanical units have features like air conditioners. In mechanical units the cold and hot coils present in the units draw indoor air in, extract moisture and collect it in a tank assigned for storage purpose. The fresh air moves out through these coils again and makes the environment comfortable. The mechanical dehumidifiers are quite efficient for using in the areas having high humidity.
Conclusion: – Basement is an area of any building where the possibility of high humidity is high. High humidity and lack of light can make the basement damp. Increased moisture level in your basement can damage your property. It can be a breeding place for dust mites, molds, bacteria and other microorganisms which can cause health related problems. Molds and spores can be a cause of allergies and asthma. Therefore, to overcome these conditions you can use a dehumidifier. The size of these humidifiers varies from a smaller unit to larger one. You can choose a dehumidifier according to your size and moisture level in your basement. Humidifier removes excess of moisture from the basement and makes the air fresh and comfortable for breathing.