Too much moisture in your basement can lead to damage your property. Humidity level more than 50% can help in breeding dust mites, mildew, mold, and spores resulting in allergies, asthma and other health problems. Dehumidifiers are an easy solution for reducing the level of humidity. A dehumidifier is an electronic appliance which is designed to lower down the humidity level and prevents the breeding of dust mites, mildew, mold and spores. It comes up in many shapes and sizes. Before buying one for your basement, you should go through the following factors: –
- The size of the dehumidifier: – While picking up a dehumidifier the first thing you keep in mind is the size of the unit needed. Rather than planning for a small unit for a single room, take into account the square footage of your entire basement. Match the removal capacity of the dehumidifier with the moisture level in the cellar. For example, for an area of 4,500 square feet, 70 Pint dehumidifier is required.
- Automatic drainage system: – Dehumidifiers have a storage tank to store the condensed water which we have to empty after reaching a certain limit. Some dehumidifiers can pipe water to the drain so that there is no need for an empty reservoir. It allows the continuous operation. You should go for the unit having an auto drainage system.
- Energy and money saver: – Energy performance of a dehumidifier determined by the amount of water extracted every hour to the amount of energy consumed. Good performance by using less energy makes the dehumidifier energy efficient. The dehumidifier with energy star level will save energy and ultimately save money on utility bills. You should go for a dehumidifier having more stars.
- Washable filters: –Dehumidifiers have filters which remove mold spores and dust mites and protects individuals from allergies and asthma. These filters have to remove and wash at least twice a week so that you don’t need to get them often, therefore, while picking up a humidifier go for a one whose filters can be easily removed and washed.
- Auto restart: – A good dehumidifier is one which has auto on/off the system. This auto restart option allows the unit to return to its desired settings after power cuts. This feature also works on when the storage tank of the dehumidifier full and needs to be emptied.
- Auto humidistat: – A good humidistat also has the feature of auto humidistat which allows it to shut off after achieving relative humidity level and hence helps in energy saving.
- Portability: – The dehumidifier you are picking should be easy to handle and easily portable so that you can quickly move it from one room to another. For this reason, you should go for the one which has wheels so that it can be easily rolled down.
- Quiet operation: – Noise can be a problem if you have a living room or bedroom in the basement. Dehumidifiers which have two fans runs quietly and also save energy. It is best to check the noise level of the dehumidifier before buying.
Click here to buy best cheap dehumidifiers for basements.